is located in Maharashtra state of
India. It contains the city of Wardha. The district had a population of 1,236,736 of which 26.28% were urban as of 2001.
Wardha is a city and a municipal council in Wardha district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. Wardha gets its name
from the Wardha River which flows at the North, West and South boundaries of district. Founded in 1866, the town is now an
important centre for the cotton trade. It is the administrative center of Wardha District
The History of Wardha dated back to prehistoric period. It has a unique place in the
Indian Natural History, since the Ostrich egg-shell has been found at Sindi (Railway) in Wardha district. It was included in
the empire of Mauryas, Sungas, Satvahanas and Vakatakas Pravarpur, modern Pavnar was once the capital of the Vakataka
dynasty. Vakatakas were contemporary of Imperial Guptas. The daughter of Chandragupta II (Vikramaditya) was married with
Vakataka ruler Rudrasena. The period of Vakatakas was 2nd to 5th C.A.D. and their empire stretches from Arabian sea in west
to Bay of Bengal in east, Narmada river in north to Krishna-Godavari delta in south.
Latter on, Wardha was ruled
by Chalukyas, Rashtrakutas, Yadavas, Delhi Sultanate, Bahamani Sultanate, Muslim ruler of Berar, Gonds and Maratha. Raja
Buland Shaha of Gonds, Raghuji of Bhonsale were the promient rulers in Medieval period.
Nearby 1850's Wardha,
(then a part of Nagpur) felt in the hands of British. They included Wardha in the Central Provenance. Wardha is a sister city
for Sevagram, and both were used as major centers for the Indian Independence Movement, especially as headquarters for an
annual meet of the Indian National Congress in 1934, and Mahatma Gandhi's Ashram.
The existing Wardha district
was part of Nagpur district till 1862. Further it was separated for convenient administrative purpose and Kawatha near
Pulgaon was the district Head quarter. In the year 1866, the district head quarter moved at Palakwadi village which is the
existing place and then Wardha city is habited there. In wardha there is one village called Pavanar where Acharya Vinoba
Recently this district has been in news because of a number of suicides that have been committed by
the farmers owing to the agricultural loans they can not repay, major reason being bad crops, droughts and lack of irrigation
facilities in the region. The Prime Minister of India Dr. M.N. Singh visited this district, review the
situation and announced the economic help package for farmers.
Wardha is located
at 20.75Â° N 78.60Â° E. It has an average elevation of 234 metres (767
As of 2001 India censusGRIndia, Wardha had a population of
111,070. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Wardha has an average literacy rate of 80%, higher than the
national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 83%, and female literacy is 76%. In Wardha, 11% of the population is under 6
years of age.
Wardha city is famous for a number of
educations institutions. Some of the notable institutes are Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences (MGIMS) at
Sewagram, Bapurao Deshmukh College of Engineering at Sewagram, Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College at Sawangi, Rashtrabhasha
Prachar Samiti at Wardha and Janakidevi Bajaj College of Science at Wardha.
Mahatma Gandhi Antar-Rashtriya Hindi
Vishwa-Vidyalaya (Mahatma Gandhi International Hindi University) is established by the Parliament of India and run directly
by the Government of India.
Paunar (Pravarpur) was the capital of Vakataka dynasty
during the reign of King Pravarsena. The remains of the medieval fortification clearly shows the evidenses of Vakataka art.
The sculptures at Parandham Ashram belong to various period dating from Vakatakas to Kakatiyas dynasty i.e. 250 AD to 1200
AD. The sculptures of Ganga (Bhagirathi), Bharat-Bhet (Meeting of Rama and Bharat) and other numerous scupltures depicting
the scense of Ramayana and Mahabharatas can be seen at Ashram. On left side of Wardha-Nagpur road, just at the end of Old
bridge, there is a temple of Lord Vishnu. The iconographic representation of Lord Vishnu and Brahma is really a miracle.
There is an another temple of Lord Hanuman (Monkey God) on the way to the Ashram. During the medieval period, it is a
flourishing trade centre of Central India, commanded the trade with China. Paramdham Ashram is established by Acharya Vinoba
Bhave in the year 1934 on the bank of river Dham in Paunar village five miles way from Wardha. Vinobaji longed for
self-realisation and left home in search of â€˜Brahmaâ€™. Further he thought, Gandhijiâ€™s Ashram would show the light he
aspired for and so joined it. After an inner call, he left Paunar and initiated unending Padayatra, the march for Gramdan and
Bhoodan (Donation of land for landless peoples). The idea of Brahma Vidya was crystallised in 1958 during his morning walks
with his associates. Vinobaji recognized that the real freedom can come to a group mind, working through the group. However,
â€˜Bharat Chhodeâ€™ movement is also continued from this ashram with his leadership. The river Dhan flows in Paunar in which
Gandhijiâ€™s asthi were desolved. The archaeological excavation was conducted by the Nagpur University, under the guidance of
Dr. S. B. Deo proved that this site was a centre of human habitation, continouslt habitated from prehistoric time
Mahatma Gandhi came Wardha in the year
1934. On the request by late Jamnalalji Bajaj, he selected the Segaon village for his Ashram or Kuti. Later this village
renamed as Sewagram. Mahatma Gandhi continued his freedom movement from this ashram. Various articles, needy things used by
Gandhi are kept here as it is. The premises of the Ashram having the Adi Niwas, Ba Kuti (Shelter of Kasturba Gandhi), Akhri
Niwas, Mahadeo Kuti, Kishor Kuti and other historical places maintaining as its original status by the trusty of the Ashram.
Permanent Photo exhibition of the Gandhi is there near the Ashram. Tourism and Development Department of Government of India
have started the guest house beside the ashram for staying the visiters. In memory of Gandhi, Kasturba Hospital is
established here in year 1944. Beside this, on 12thAugust 1969, Dr. Sushila Nayar had started the Mahatma Gandhi Medical
College in Sewagram.
There is a Varad Vinayakâ€™s (Lord Ganesh ) temple at Kelzer
which is also known as one of the Ganesh temple from Ashtavinayaka in Vidarbha region. The Sculpture of Lord Ganesha is found
in the past period of Arya. In the northern side of the temple there is a stepped well, though popularly believed that it was
constructed by Bhima, a hero of Mahabharata, was constructed during the period of Vakataka dynasty. (250 AD to 500 AD). There
is a Vishnu temple of Kelzar located in the Market - on a way to the famous Varad Vinayaka temple. The black basalt/granite
(?) idol of Lord Vishnu belongs 12th c. A.D. The iconographic features of this idol show high craftmanship and influenced by
Kakatiya art of the Warangal. The broken statue of Mahavira "Jina" is found at the premises of the Buddha Vihar. There is a
"Shri-Vatsa" on its chest. But now its pieces are plastered and it is named as a Budhha image by the ignorance of the
This is the mandir
where Vinobaâ€™s Gitai became perpetual. Vinoba Bhave translated the Bagwat Gita in the book Gitai. For this purpose number
of polished stones are brought from different places and arranged vertically in shape of cow and 18 â€˜Shlokasâ€™ (sections)
of the Gita are engraved on it. This temple is unlike to the general temple. It has no ceiling, no walls. Beside the mandir,
permanent exhibition is arranged in Shanti Kuti in memory of Mahatma Gandhi and Jamnalal Bajaj.
In 1935, Fuji Guruji from Japan came to Wardha and met Mahatma Gandhi. He put the wish to
setup the Stups (Prayer place for of Budha Community) in India. Gandhi agreed his desire and then after Stanti Stups were
built at eight different places in India. One of that Vishwa Shanti Stup is found in Wardha. This Stup is constructed with
the help of Japan in 1995. On the Stup the architecture is available describing the history of Lord Goutam
Laxmi Narayan Temple
This is a temple of God-goddesses Lord Vishnu and
Laxmi. It is big temple built in the 1905. Inner side of the temple is constructed with marble. Late Jamnalal have opened the
temple in 19th July 1928 for â€˜Harijansâ€™ (lower caste peoples). Near the temple a medical shop is opened free for poor
people. Various books of Sansrit, Prakrit, and Ved, Upnishades, Bhagwat in Hindi languages are available in the temples
library. A guest house of the truest is there near the Railway Station.
It is in the middle of the Wardha city. The museum is inaugurated on 30th December 1938 by
Mahatma Gandhi. It has been developed by well known expert of Gandhian economic system, Dr. J.C. Kumarappa and Aaryanayakam
whose extensive efforts brought forward the village industries and Village development
* Baba Amte India's Social and moral
leader (born December 24, 1914 ) at Hinganghat
* Dr. Khankhoje, Freedom Fighter and Agriculturist. (Arvi)
* Shri. Jamanalal Bajaj, Freedom Fighter
* Dr. Abhay Bang and Dr. Rani Bang, Social Workers, rendering
medical services to the poor adiwasi people of Gadchiroli district.